Tips & Hints for Creating New Items
This Tipsheet collects time-saving techniques and best practices for creating new Items.
Duplicate an Existing Item
Choose what to Duplicate
You can choose the views of the original Item you’d like to include in the duplicate—you can also choose to include Compliance information and the History of the original Item.
A quick way to create an Item is to find a similar Item and duplicate it. You can select the views you want to include in the duplication.
- Click Duplicate Item from any view of a similar Item.
- Select the views you want to duplicate. If you include the History of the original Item, it will be displayed in the History subview of the Lifecycle view of the new Item, and it will be clearly marked as duplicated from the original.
- Click Save Changes.
To quickly add multiple Items to your workspace, import a CSV, SSV, or PDX file by clicking Import Items from any view in the Items world. Before you get started, you can review column requirements for the workspace and download a sample template you can update with your own Item information.
- If you need to import a file with more than 1000 lines, contact Arena Support using FastFeedback.
Create an Assembly Fast
In BOMControl, an assembly is an Item that has other Items included in its bill of materials. Save time by adding Items to the assembly in bulk.
- Build a Kept Items list of search results.
- Use the checkboxes to select Items from the Kept Items list.
- Click Add to Assy at the bottom of the list.
- Search for an existing Item to which you want to add the selected Items or create a new assembly Item.
Set a Default Item Number Format: Admins Only
Account Administrators can set a default Item Number Format, and enter default values for the included fields, for each Item category.
- Go to the Categories view in the Account Administration tool.
- For an existing category, click Edit Information and select an Item Number Format from the drop-down menu in the Default Settings section. (For new Item categories, you can select default settings during the creation process.)
- If a default Item Number Format has already been selected for the Item category, any Items assigned to the category will not be affected, but new Items assigned to or created in the category will use the new default.
- Click Save Changes.